Sunday, June 22, 2008

La Casa del Mojito & my gradual ascent (descent?) to a foodie.

After hearing such great things about La Casa del Mojito , Dan and I decided to check it out. Lately I have realized what a powerful effect food has on me - especially if feel like I paid too much for bad food. I ordered the Vaca Frita. Everything was quite good, except for the overall greasiness. Deep fried "maduros" were better than donuts, and the "tostones" were delicious as well. But my dish - it was okay, but far, far too greasy. I want to say it was a fluke - Dan's fish was delicately and tastefully breaded and fried. But mine was very discomfortingly greasy in retrospect. The feeling afterwards...ahh! I am a huge fan of light and refreshing food, and that's what I expected from such a bright and bubbly tropical joint, and for the $13 price tag (high for the Ave). Not so here. I do think the place has excellent potential - very different and everything else on the menu sounds delicious. I'll have to give it a second try, but in the meantime my stomach is in a bit of knot and I'm out $17. That's the part that kills me. I could have made my plate for about $4. And better.

This has slowly been happening - I'm becoming a foodie. For better or worse, I'm snobbing up. I'll try my darndest not to ever be a true snob, as it's one of my greatest pet peeves. Either way, I still feel freaking terrible after a bad meal, especially an expensive one, even though the company and the atmosphere were quite good. My palate is becoming more refined. Which unfortunately means my wallet is going to continue to get more refined- more "sleek and thin" - as well...

No comments: